Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Prayer 9.12.12


Lord,

I’ve decided to let this thing go.  This thing of anger, frustration, hatred…this thing that makes me want to curse your name.  I’m sorry that I ever did.  You don’t deserve my anger or my hatred.  I am just still sad.  I know you are, too.  For some reason, I can’t help but think that you saved our lives through this.  I am not sure how, yet, but I know you will let me in on it when I get there.

I’m thankful you decided to let us know we were ready.  I’m sad that you decided to keep them.  I imagine you thought they needed to stay with you for whatever reason. And to that reason, I say ok.  Through this I have learned just how powerless I am.  I have always known you were powerful, you who created everything, but I wanted to control that power. And I can’t.

I can’t control you.  I can’t just make you do what I want because I am a selfish sinner.  I guess the beauty of that is that even with your power, you choose not to control me.  You allow me to feel the way that I do because you’re trying to build strength.  I guess the way that a father instills strength in his son.  I guess you can’t go through an easy life and come out stronger.

Let me ease back into this.  But please understand that I still have my guard up.  I imagine just like a father you’re willing to sit on the edge of the bed, quiet, listening to the sobs of his son.  That’s what I need.  Father, you don’t need my forgiveness, and a long time ago through your son, you forgave me.  Your child died to give me life…I can’t imagine what that must have felt like. I’m sorry and thank you.

Amen.