Tuesday, February 7, 2012

funny dude

It's funny sometimes how you can give advice and not heed your own word.

This morning I gave advice to this girl based on a television series, Friday Night Lights.  I know, that's funny in itself!  But! Let me finish.  I noticed throughout the series that Julie Taylor, the coach's daughter, changes so much from the moment we meet her in episode 1 to the end of the series.  She goes from this naive little girl who has just started high school to a someone's mistress in college. 

There is this change that takes place in her.  Its this place of disbelief and uncertainty of what her father has instilled in her because of what the world is offering her.  Her value and her beliefs are beginning to sway with the winds of lies.

So she begins to act out.  She frequently quarrels with her loving parents because she knows whats best for her.  She pushes away from them and gives a piece of her soul to a boy.  Willing to do whatever is necessary, she longs for that breath of air that can save her in this drowning world of lies she has dove in to.  If only she knew that this breath that she needed was divine.  If only we knew that we were suffocating ourselves.

Anyway, the girl that I gave advice to.  I told her that she will be entering this stage similar to Julie Taylor.  This stage where she thinks she knows whats best for her.  Her parents and teachers won't give her, her "own personal space."  You think that's what you want, but that isn't going to help you. "I just need some respect from them.  They want me to respect them, but if you want it, you gotta give it."  That doesn't matter.  Show them love, and you'll be surprised how much love you will get back.  Your parents have held you and kept you alive since the day you were born...you probably don't know what's best for you.

I soon realized that I needed to hear this more so for myself than for her.  My Father loves me.  He's kept me alive since the day I was born.  When I was suffocating myself, He restored me with a divine breath.  And yet, daily I know better than he does.  And daily I suffocate myself to the point of death.  Like Lazarus, he commands me to come back to life, to Him.  And I do...

Lord,

I am a man of sorrow.  A man of death.  Corruption.  Hurt.  Pain.  Save me.  Allow me to cling to you.  For myself and for those around me.  I want to bring life to others because you first gave me life.  Through you, let me pity the afflicted and shield the joyous.  And all for Your love's sake.  Amen.