Wednesday, February 8, 2012

words

“How many slams in an old screen door? Depends how loud you shut it. How many slices in a bread? Depends how thin you cut it. How much good inside a day? Depends how good you live 'em. How much love inside a friend? Depends how much you give 'em.” ― Shel Silverstein

"37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." - Jesus in Matthew 12:37


Not sure why, but these 2 quotes really stuck out to me today.  For one, I love Shel Silverstein! I love The Giving Tree.  It's one of my favorite children's books.  I love what Shel's quote is essentially saying...The quality of one's life is contingent on their willingness to engage in it. 

I find myself often disengaging from life.  Whether it is with people, my job, my wife, or my Lord, I disengage.  It's unfortunate, really.  There is so much that I miss! So many moments that escape me.  Rather, so many moments that I escape from.  And when you finally wake up and realize every moment that could've been life changing...it's gone.  Life is gone.  So don't take these precious moments for granted.  Take each moment for what its worth (good or bad).  Embrace the day because today is the last of its kind.  And for your sake show some love to the people around you because who knows if you'll have another chance to.

Say the things that matter. Save the irrelevant things for deaf ears and even then...reconsider.

Lord,

Help me engage this life of mine. Forgive me for destructive words, to others and to myself. Let me receive wisdom. I need a tongue of discernment. Also, make my wife feel better. She's feeling sick. Thank you. Love. Amen.